Reservations


Kliknete zde
Kliknete zde

Educational Trails

Nature and sights in the Mikulov are introduced through several educational tourist trail: the Wine Trails, tour of the Jewish Quarter, Děvín Nature Trail and Turold Nature Trail.

The Wine Trails

Devotees of a healthy lifestyle will appreciate the ability to connect wine tasting with activities in the beautiful countryside around Pálava. There are several educational trails devoted to wine running through this small area. We are presenting the route that leads through our region.

Moravian Wine Trail

  • Length: about 280 km
  • Route: Drnholec • Novosedly • Nový Přerov • Dobré Pole • Březí • Mikulov • Klentnice • Pavlov • Dolní Věstonice • Strachotín • Pouzdřany • Popice
  • Moravian Wine Trail is the backbone of the regional network of bicycle trails passing through the landscape of South Moravia, linking the ancient town of Znojmo with the Slavic capital Uherské Hradiště. Red marked trail leads through all Moravian wine sub-areas and crosses seven of ten routes of local wine trails. The trail lead through 70 wine villages, protected natural habitats as well as important historical and architectural monuments of the region. You can learn more about wine in an authentic atmosphere of the wine cellar or cellar lanes, which are often also an example of folk architecture in the area.

Mikulov Wine Trail

  • Length: about 82 km
  • Route: Mikulov • Sedlec • Úvaly • Valtice • Hlohovec • Lednice • Bulhary • Milovice • Dolní Věstonice • Strachotín • Ivaň • Pasohlávky • Brod nad Dyjí • Novosedly • Nový Přerov • Dobré Pole • Březí • Mikulov
  • The route of the Mikulov wine trail passes through the Mikulov wine sub-region. It starts in Mikulov (urban conservation area, the Regional Museum in the chateau with wine exhibition) and continues to Valtice (Wine Salon of the Czech Republic). The southern part of the closed circuit goes through Lednice-Valtice area. At the colonnade at Reistna the trail ascends to its highest elevation, and then continues in an attractive off-road section along the country border. From Dolní Věstonice, the north section of the route continues across the dam of Nové Mlýny and towns of Strachotín, Pasohlávky, Novosedly, Nový Přerov, and back to Mikulov.

Tour of the Jewish Quarter

Tour of the Jewish Quarter contains 13 stops on a kilometer long footpath. Identified and described in detail, there are 13 houses of the former Jewish ghetto. The route leads through the town center and is connected to the hiking trails.

Significant buildings on the trail

  • Upper Synagogue
    Also called Old School, the building originally from 1550, expanded in 1689. After a fire, new baroque arrangement originated in 1719 to 1723 (perhaps with the participation of the castle architect J. Ch. Oedtl), where four arched domes vault over to a four-pillar hall in the middle, which forms the rostrum - almemor. It represents the last surviving temple of Polish or Lvov type in this country. The tabernacle is work by sculptor I. Lengelacher. Vaults are decorated with stuccos representing original Hebrew liturgical texts. The synagogue was generally reshaped in 1977-1989 to serve community purposes. It is a cultural monument.
  • House at Husova 30
    Terraced house in the Jewish quarter with Renaissance center and vaults, rebuilt into Classicist style, including the facade, is another cultural monument. The basic ground plan and layout of most houses are still in Renaissance style - it can be seen from the cross vault with ribs on massive stone walls (e.g. Husova 15, 19, 42). Houses of the Jewish Quarter were distinguished from the Christian ones by Roman numerals I to CLXIX. A common phenomenon in the ghettos is the so-called condominium, i.e. actual division of the house to several partial owners, both horizontally and vertically - house numbers were then divided into a, b, c, etc.
  • Jewish Cemetery
    On the western slope of Goat Hill, dating back to the 15th century, the cemetery has been expanded several times to the present acreage of 19,180 m2. From about 4000 preserved tombstones, the oldest legible one dates back to 1605. It is an extremely valuable cemetery with tombstones in Renaissance, Baroque and Classicist style. Their art processing and ornaments have become a model for other South Moravian Jewish cemeteries. On the rabbi hill, renowned Moravian regional rabbis M.M. Krochmal (died 1637), Š. Š. Horowitz (died 1778) and M. Benet (died 1829) are buried. The place is a destination of pilgrims from around the world. The area is complemented by the memorial of fallen soldiers from World War I as well as memorial of 21 Hungarian Jews murdered in 1945. A cultural monument.
  • Ceremonial Hall
    Sophisticated style in a historicist style built in 1898 according to plans by famous architect Max Fleischer (1841 Prostějov - 1905 Vienna). After the war, the building was used for storage, now gradually adjusted into an art studio. A cultural monument. The necessary equipment of cemeteries always includes mortuary or death's chamber, from the 2nd half of the 19th century. Larger Jewish communities built magnificent ceremonial halls, where the main hall hosted the last rites to the deceased, while adjacent rooms served for the ritual purification (taharah), a warehouse of props, wardrobe, funeral carriage shed, and possibly the apartment of a manager and a gravedigger.
  • Houses at A. Muchy 18-20
    Renaissance buildings with arches and vaults (with cross-barrel lunettes). House no. 20 is decorated with Art Nouveau facade. A cultural monument. In the courtyard of both houses there are remains of Ashkenazi synagogue. It was built in Baroque style by Lazar or Beer Salomon for his private prayers back in 1675. It was used until the beginning of the 2n half of the 19th century. The access to it was through the hall of the house no. 18 from the yard and the stone stairs to the floor. The room sized about 9x5 m had a flat ceiling. The rest of stone and brick perimeter walls with an alcove for the Torah between two windows on the east side and a stone basin of the former porch on the west side are still preserved. Diagonally opposite, there was an old house no. 104, which carried a Hebrew sign for the end or separation of the Jewish Quarter - eruv on its facade.

Děvín Nature Trail

The Děvín trail runs on a 11 km long footpath designed for walking tours; time the entire route takes 4-6 hours. Děvín trail is available all year round and its markings are parallel to the tourist signage. The trail includes 15 information panels and 3 orientation maps (on the crossroads at the rest stop at Soutěska, at the top of the Soutěska gorge, and the saddle below the Děvičky castle).

The nature trail consists of three interconnected circles with a few digressions to the panels, which are located outside the main routes. It is not necessary to pass the panels in the designed order, but it is recommended to start the tour at the source in Soutěska gorge (panel 1). Through panels, visitors can get acquainted with nature and landscape, the flora and fauna of thermophilous oak woods, rocky steppes, oak-hornbeam northeastern slopes, scree woodlands, cliffs and rocky slopes, turfy and meadow steppes.

Included is also the history of the castle of Děvičky and the overall history of the local population, geological and geomorphologic structure of the Pavlov Hills and description of invasive plant species introduced into the local countryside. Ecology and the human impact on landscape and nature are mentioned on panels representing history and presence of the forestry, grasslands and their maintenance, reservations and hunting, and water resource management in the Pálava area.

Turold Nature Trail

The Turold trail length is about 300 m and includes 8 information panels. The trail is designed for walking tours and the tour of the entire route takes approximately one hour. The Turold trail is open all year round and for the most part it is identical to the access road to the cave Turold. It is recommended to use the red tourist mark, which is the most interesting.

Information panels are placed on a modified front bottom of the quarry and visitors can get acquainted with all the familiar sights of the Pálava area. The welcome panel informs about the route of the Turold trail and the history of its creation, the other panels are devoted to the characteristics of the location, geological structure of the outlier, paleontological discoveries, development and description of the cave system, animals and plants and the local archaeological finds.